Monday, March 17, 2014

Beer Rinse to Bounce Your Curls Back!

Beer Rinse for Kinky Curls





As I shared last week, I am embarking on a 60day Hair challenge. For the next 2 months, my hair will be in protective styles. This challenge will allow my strands to flourish without manipulation damage. Currently, I have in a straight weave and about a 2 by 2 inch leave out in the front. 




Day 3
Starting to Revert


Almost Immediately I regretted leaving so much of my curly hair out. Blending the textures is becoming more and more difficult with each day. I originally pressed my hair, taking extra time to seal in moisture, but with each day that passes, my hair reverts a bit more. I have tried wrapping my hair, and setting the small leave out in a large roller to keep it stretched. Nothing, short of applying more heat seems to work. After week 1, my leave out is starting to return to its 4c kink, leaving me in an awkward position


Damn that Damage | Grow That Hair!
Not Feeling this Leaveout
Day 10









I have made it a point not to press my hair as it reverts, to avoid damage. As I search for a better solution,
I have to take additional steps to insure my leave out does not get damaged. In additon to the Heat protectants,  I will use a beer rinse to help my curls bounce back after a week of pin straight hair. Then revemp my hair style to keep my curls protected, and tucked away.




Why Do Beer Rinses work?Some experts say the proteins from the malt and hops found in beer can coat,  and can help rebuild damaged hair.


"Because beer is rich in proteins and vitamins, through the natural barley and hops, it does contain nutrients for helping to develop healthy hair,” explains Dr. Ryan Welter, a Massachusetts-based hair restoration surgeon. “Many people have thus seen the benefits of fuller, thicker and more bodied hair through the use of a beer rinse. However, it’s not acting on growing hairs, but rather existing ones. There is no evidence beer can help hair grow.”


  


To keep my weave dry & out of the way, I put the weave into a tight bun. I pre poo'd, and co washed my leave out. For the Nitty Gritty on how I soften my 4c hair click! After, I rinse my hair with a room temp flat beer. I followed up the beer rinse with cool water, to get rid of any smell from the beer. My curls are back! And most importantly; undamaged. After restoring the moisture balance, I twist my leave out, and allow it to air dry.  10 days into this protective style challenge, I will try to salvage this style by putting my leave out into an invisible part (using glue). I have learned a valuable lesson. Regarding leaveouts. Just say no, unless your hair is a similar texture to the hair you will install. Luckily I did not damage my strands with this experiment. 
  
Round 2
with the Invisible Part






I will try to keep this style in for another 2 weeks. The next style will be Crochet braids. 












           Day 12

No comments:

Post a Comment