Sunday, March 9, 2014

Challenge Time! | Protective styles till spring

To prevent me from obsessing over my long term goals, I often set set short term challenges, and goals, to distract myself.

I am doing a protective style challenge for the next 2 months. I'm hoping to see 1 inch of growth by the end of this challenge.


I put a weave in, using human hair. I will be sure to maintain healthy curls underneath. Check out this article that gives step by step instructions to maintain healthy curls under your long term protective styles. Protective styles can be a double edge sword, when it comes to hair health. On one hand, your curls are saved from manipulation damage.
Your ends are tucked away from the the reach of sweaters, scarves, and you. On the other hand, your curls are tucked away, and can possibly be forgotten, or neglected. Reaching your scalp, and strands for adding moisture can be difficult. To prevent any protective styling regret, I keep my styles in for 2-3 weeks at a time. Any longer, and I will go through 'Curl Withdrawal'.

Be sure to moisturize your hair 2-4 times a week, or as needed. Many styles tuck your ends away so well, its best to reach your strands using a water bottle or dropper, filled with nourishing conditioners, and oils. To keep itching to a minimum I use soothing mix of oils. I suggest you continue to use your favorite oils to maintain your style.  Tee tree, lavender, or ginger oil are a few of my protective style favorites! I will update this post as I continue with this protective style challenge. My next style will be crochet braids

No comments:

Post a Comment