Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Trichonodosis | How To Avoid this Length Killer!



Affecting Strands Across the Globe 


Trichonodosis
How To Avoid this Length Killer! 


Trichonodosis  (knotted hair) A trauma induced knotting of the naturally curly/wavy/coily hair. This traumatic knot can cause breakage, and lead decreased length retention. These Single strand knots are usually found on the lower part of the hair strand. The knots fracture  the cuticle and expose  the cortex where these knots form.  So now these knots are weak points on the hair strand since the cuticle layers are now bent into a knot shape, making detangling natural hair even more complicated. These single strand knots can reduce your length retention. 

These knots are weak points on the hair strand since the cuticle layers are now bent into a knot shape, they simply intertwine with itself or other strands of hair, making detangling natural hair even more complicated, they are normally on one strand of hair, or more than one strand all together in one knot. 

Because tightly curled hair is not oval or round, like straight hair, but ribbon-shaped and does not lie flat, it creates spirals which when pulled and released may lead to entangled hair forming knots

Half-hitch knots have a pattern and possibly could be detangled if they are not tight.

Shed hair, before leaving the scalp, tends to tangle with other hairs forming knots on its way down the hair strand.

 



How to Save Your Tresses


Wrap up your hair at night. Hair that's free during the night will be tangled and knotted in the morning. Use the pineapple or the mini pineapple method to preserve curls, and reduce tangles. 


Wash and detangle hair in sections
Rock Low manipulation/protective styles
Keep your natural hair in a stretched state as often  as possible

Styling should prevent friction and knot creation. Wearing the hair up means that hair is in a fixed position and is not forming meet and greet knots with all of the other spiral hair strands. This is a hard one because I like wearing my hair out and intend to do so when it gets to my desired length. However, because I know when my hair is out it means that it’s freely moving around tangling with other hair, I keep it moisturized  and  finger comb out any loose knots before they form into tighter ones.
If you find yourself with a Single Strand Knot, use a safety pin and put the needle right in the middle of the knot and gently loosen your damp stands. I also unravel loose knots with my fingers using my Home Made Detangling Mist & Lotion For Curly Hair 

Sometimes, when none of the above works. I cut these knots with a pair of barber’s scissors if the knots are close to my ends. If they are too high up on my hair strand, I don’t cut it, I  just can’t bare to. 

Since making adjustments to my styling and detangling, I notice less SSN (Single Strand Knots)  I do not straighten my hair often so the knots close to the root don't bother me.

Keeping your hair moisturized and  your cuticles closed will also cut down on the single strand knots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment