Sunday, September 29, 2013

Protection From Your Protection?

Protective style Maintenance 


Curly  Micro Braids




Protective styles allow your strands go weeks without manipulation damage.  However naturals must make sure to care for the curls underneath the style.  My 1st year natural I spent much of that time with my hair in protective styles. Here are my top tip for having a successful protective style.
Too often I hear of people complain that a protective style ruined their hair. Follow these tips to save your strands, grow that hair, and give yourself a break from daily styling.











Tip 1


Moisturize | Before  | During | After
For curly girls, moisture equals soft healthy hair. Be sure to moisturize your hair prior to styling. Before I twist or braid my hair I deep condition, and seal with heavy creams and butters.  I also make sure to keep my curls hydrated, spraying my ends, and/or oiling my scalp every 2-3 days while my hair is protected. Only thing protective styling gives you a break from; is styling. You should still continue a moisture routine with your protective style. Moisture is also the key to a successful low shedding take down. I use my water based homemade mist to moisturize my strand as I take down the style. I also use the mist to loosen and remove any lint tangled in my hair.  Since using water based moisturizer, while taking down my styles I notice less shedding, and easier detangling after wearing protective styles for weeks.





Tip 2


Check the Tension, Check the heat, or do your own dirty work.

Your hairstyle should not hurt. If it does, follow these tips when Hair Too Tight? Save yourself a headache, and speak up while the style is being installed. If you are uncomfortable while in the chair, you will be uncomfortable at home.  Many styles require the stylist to straighten or stretch your hair. Be sure the hairdresser is treating your hair with love. Use heat protectants, and cooler settings ALWAYS.  If detangling your hair requires special skills, I suggest you arrive at the salon with the dirty work already done. I confess, detangling my hair is a Job in itself; sometimes I rather pay someone to deal with it.  But I rather save my stands, and gently finger detangle my strands myself.  I don’t use combs or brushes. I have not tried to tell a hairdresser to finger detangle, I may try that as an experiment, and see their reaction…






Tip 3

Don’t overdo it

I know protective styles can be an addiction. There are just so many options! Braids, twists, weaves, wigs, buns, and so on. Be sure to know when it is time to let the style go. Micro braids, when worn too long, can pull the hairline, causing hair loss.  Weaves can block the scalp, preventing you from moisturizing it well, or itch. Some brands of extensions can strip the hair of moisture no matter how much you moisturize.  Be sure to switch up the type of protective style you get. 







You May Also Like:

Low Manipulation Hairstyles for Curly Hair

No comments:

Post a Comment