Monday, June 30, 2014

4c Kinks: No Definition, But Plenty of Influence

Picture this: You see a woman strutting down  the street, fly from curls to toe. Her care free attitude, the sureness in each step, she exerts “Dopeness’  with each gesture, and you cant help but notice! You think to yourself “YASSSSS” or, you want to do a slow clap to celebrate her fierceness.  We have all seen this lady. In fact, sometimes we Are these ladies. She is an influencer.  Her style, her attitude, or general way of life captures attention. Some will  admire her. Some will make fun of her and say ‘who does she think she is’? One thing is for sure, most everyone will notice her. This is what is like to have natural 4c hair, in a world of relaxed and weaved styles. Some will embrace & complement it, & even join in on the journey. Others will make fun, or suggest a relaxer. Everyone will notice.


As a NYC curly, I cannot count how many fluffy afros  bounce by me each day.  Before cutting my hair, I noticed many girls proudly rocking their curls with all out fierceness. Since cutting my hair, I notice more and more girls choosing to rock their own hair, just the way it grows. This begs me to ask: Is curly contagious? Although my 4c kinks lack a defined “s” or “c” shaped pattern, my kinks have plenty of influence.

I was first influenced to cut my hair when a friend stopped by to visit and show off her new  Caesar cut. As long as I had known her, she always maintained beautiful straight hair. I was shocked, but it was refreshing to see her with a short crop. A year later I was in need of a change, I reached for a pair of scissors, and began my journey. I quickly noticed my hair had no defined pattern. I experimented with various styles, as my hair grew, and documented my journey online. A year later my sister decided to slowly give up relaxers. Months later I conned my granny into joining team natural. More and more women in my life began to big chop, and join the chemical free revolution. My cousin big chopped last year, today her hair looks amazing!  Most recently, my mom joined team natural, and her twa looks so healthy!! I can’t help but smile when we all connect. Beautiful, Natural, and owning each bit of it.. When you care for your kinky hair, the results can be contagious, and even inspiring. As we go out into the world each day, curly girls are making a statement (even if that is not your intention). Those who chooses to rock their curls, are saying “This is what I like; this is who I am, I am an influencer”.  


So the next time you see a woman strutting  the street, fly from curls to toe. Her care free attitude, the sureness in each step, she exerts “Dopeness”  with each gesture. Give a moment to celebrate her fierceness.  We have all seen this lady. In fact, some days we  Are these ladies. We are influencers.  Your style, your attitude, and general way of life captures attention. Some will  celebrate you, some will think: who does she think she is? One thing is for sure, most everyone will notice you. Some will embrace it, & join in on the journey. Other will make fun, or suggest a relaxer. Everyone will notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment