Saturday, June 14, 2014

4 Brands of Gel Natural Girls Can Use

4 Brands of Gel 4c Natural Girls Can Use




Let’s face it, there are so many gels and styling products on the market, it can be hard to know just what is good and what is bad for your hair. Not all products that claim to be good for your hair, will give you the hold, and performance you need. Kinky, tightly coiled hair can be a pain to  lay down. Here are a few brands of gel that not only keep kinky hair looking sleek, they  keep my curls defined. My preferred gels are extra sticky, and goopy. Applying the sticky gels to wet hair is easiest. However, I apply gel on damp hair if I am looking to minimize shrinkage, and have the most defined look. I use gel on wet hair to get the sleekest bun. Using gel on wet hair, usually gives me a shrunken puff, as the curls are not that defined.  I notice my hair shrinks more when the gel is applied to dripping wet hair. No matter the look Im going for, these gels leave my hair happy!

Gorilla Snot –Yes, that is a brand, & I cannot live without this stuff! This thick, glue like gel lays even my most curly/kinky baby hairs to perfection. This product comes in various holds. I use the PUNK line, with the hardest hold, to leave my kinks laid all day long. Even in the most humid weather, this product did not disappoint. This brand is affordable, ranging from $3 to $5 dollars for a jar. The hold is amazing, it left my hair super shiny, and laid. My only complaint: Gorilla snot flaked when I applied it again the next day. I smoothed oil over my hair and the flakes were gone. For my 4c kinks, I give this gel a 10 out of 10! Looking to tame your edges, this should be in your arsenal.

Black/ Ice Protein Gel- This gel has been my go to since my relaxer days. This gel is thick, and has a hold that can last for days. Another  good thing about this gel, it contains no drying alcohols. When there are many products that can give your hair a lasting hold. Often they contain drying alcohols, that can damage hair. Black gel provides great hold. My only complaint: this gel can flake when mixed with certain products.   For my 4c kinks I gave this product a 8 out of 10.  The hold is not the best for my resistant edges but works wonders for the rest of my hair. I do not use this get for twistouts and braidouts, this gel tends to flake, and can leave a mess for my 4c kinks. I reach for this gel when doing low manipulation styles like flat twist, and buns.

Flax Seed Gel- Soft; non crunchy hold, this product will give your curls an extra boost, while leaving your hair defined, and flake free. This product can be made at home for pennies on the dollar. Just another reason why I like this gel. You can mix it with your favored oils, butters and conditioners for an amazing styling cream. When made at home, this gel keeps flyaway at bay, and frizz in check without making your curls crunchy. Great for defined styles like a twistout, or a braidout, and rod sets. For my 4c kinks I give this product a 10 out of 10. It is all natural, mixes well with many other products, and can be made custom to your hairs needs.

Edge Control Gel – I am still searching for an edge control gel that can stand up to my kinky 'baby' hairs. Many curly girls swear by the little edge control jars found in the beauty supply store. Unfortunately this brand will only hold my edges down for  an hour or so on a humid day. If I am looking for a soft hold along my edges I reach for this product. This product works well to keep your edges in check, but they will not be super sleek. I give this product a 6 out of 10 for my 4c curls.




No comments:

Post a Comment