Monday, July 1, 2013

Love Potion #9

Love Potion #9



For as long as I can remember, I have had a love of products. Since childhood they have lined my dresser, night stand, bathroom sink, shower, drawers, purse, & any where else I can fit them. Bottles, jars, tubes, tubs, sprays, you name it. Ill probably try it.

 It was when I entered cosmetology school that I began to dissect the ingredients found in my favorite products. Just like the rest of our bodies, our hair is a good reflect of how we treat it. If you treat your hair good. It looks good. But more importantly it will be healthy. I spent many year searching for a “Holy grail” product. A major go to, that was cost effective, healthy, and well recommended. Once I began reading the ingredient list, my dresser, shower, and purse became less cluttered. And my Bank account got a little fatter.

Pink Lotion












Ingredients: Deionized Water - Aqua, Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum, Lanolin , Beeswax - Cera Alba, Petrolatum, Sodium Borate, Panthenol - Provitamin B5, Tocopherol - Vitamin E, Sorbitan Oleate, Ethylhexyl Dimethyl, PABA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea , Fragrance - Parfum , Hexyl Cinnamal , Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Red 33 - CI 17200

How my hair reacts: The shine is immediate. And the conditioning Ingredients do make my hair feel softer,. However, its heavy, contains Panthenol - Provitamin B5,  but leave a thick buildup on my hair.  I tossed it. And replaced any in-between moisturizing needs with shea butter, and coconut oil. It gives immediate shine, has no extra chemicals to weigh my hair down, and  most importantly it helps to locks in moisture.








Blue Magic

Ingredients:Petrolatum , Lanolin , Lecithin , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Fragrance , Green 6CI 61565 , Violet 2CI 6072

HOW MY HAIR REACTS: The Shine is immediate. Its thick consistency can be used for ponytails. IT contains some good oils like Lanolin. However , it leaves a buildup on my strands. I’m not in love with the scent.  I Tossed it. And replaced it with Jamaican Castor Oil. Castor oil, is thick, and give immediate shine. It also helps to regrow hair. Winning.



Spritz


Ingredients: Alcohol, Water (Aqua), Acrylates/T Butylacrylamide Copolymer, Amino Methyl Propanol, Fragrance, Panthenol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, PEG/PPG 4/12 Dimethicone, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine HCl, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxyisohexl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methlyproprional

HOW MY HAIR REACTS:   The hold really came in handy for sets, and blow outs. But as my natural hair became longer , I had to focus on the health in order to retain length. The alcohol in wrapping lotions and spritz was drying out my hair, and it wasn't holding up again the 4c frizz. I tossed it. And replaced it with Flax seed Gel. It gives amazing shine, impressive hold, with minimal build up. Not to mention it can be made at home for penny’s on the dollar! My 4C strands love it.


 When all is said and done, I don't believe there is a magic potion to get the curls you want. Be consistent with hair care, and you will get consistent results.   What products or ingredients have you sworn off since embracing your natural hair 


No comments:

Post a Comment