Thursday, October 31, 2013

Curly Musings From Around The Web

Curl Inspired Art & Poems





Like the mighty AFROdite that I be

Every morning, I'm arisin' & openin' my eyelids

Feelin' like a superNATURAL young goddess!


& Isn't it obvious that I greet my reflection with confidence?


It's like I'm oozing this consciousness


I am beyond aware now.


I mean--look at my hair now!


The same hair I use to tear down


With poison, ignorantly


Now grows indigenously from love & knowledge


I oil my coils and spoil them habitually


I heart my 'fro!


It's my self-esteem personified.


Shakin’ what my momma gave me!


& I ain't talkin' 'bout my behind!


And despite that very fact,


All the brothas still think I'm fiiiiiinnnneeee...




They wanna run their hands all into and through my strands!




& Perhaps it’s jealousy


But… I stay catchin' flak from relaxed chicks!


Always tryna check for tracks and attachments


I tell 'em fall backwards


'cause I got a knack for smackin' haters with my palm's back end!




BUT my preference is pickin' my 'Fro over pickin' any fights with you


Or sparkin’ heated debates


On why I choose not to heat up and straighten my hair so I can look just like you…




When lookin’ like me has been more than good enough.




& as each day passes, I become more in love with my courageous curls


That are brave enough to face a world


That has a skewed and screwed up view of what’s considered to be beautiful




Nah, my roots never produced that European, silky smooth





But who’s to say that it ain’t “good hair?”

My belief is that we all should bare our Go
d-given characteristics

& embrace our differences


It’s the one thing that we share!



“Take the kinks out ya mind… Not out of your hair.”


By: Janiah Bradley





On Tumblr I came across this illustration by a Jamaican artist.



Illustrations by  Paul Davey from Manchaster, Jamaica. He is a painter who uses digital tools to create these surreal depictions of people who inspire him. The paintings are inspired by moments in his own life.





Have curl inspired art you would like to share? Visit the Contact Us Page For more information

No comments:

Post a Comment